Saturday, April 18, 2009

Okonomiyaki Fail

"Japanese Pizza" by 101cookbooks.com
Looked good. Turned out not that great. Bland really.

But I am not done with this idea. Okonomiyaki means" favorites" and refers to  the flexibility of toppings in this street dish. I looked at a lot of recipes and they usually include toppings of fish flakes and mayonaise. hmm
About Okonomiyaki here
Jazzy Video here 
Recipe here

I think this is a cool idea. Basically a battered cabbage, pan-fried to crisp, topped with veggies (or seafood if you like). I think I'll have to try this again with onions, potatoes, and mushrooms. Topped with yogurt and some sort of sauce. Maybe even adding some noodles....There are a lot of ideas out there. 


I want to go to Japan. Did you see those green onions?!?! The octopus?!?! Japanese mountain yam!??! The dog speaking with a french accent?!?!

5 comments:

Emy said...

You've always had a thing for Asians......

MomCan said...

Can I go too?? This sounds like an interesting concept. I think you could make up your own recipe with the same technique. We should try it when you come out. We need to find the gummy yam. Interesting. Love this.

James said...

We need more posts!

James said...

What, are you on vacation?!

Unknown said...

MMMMMM.... I love Japanese Okonomyaki. You have to have the authentic sauce from Japan or at least the Cupeee mayo to squeeze on top of it. The cut up cabbage makes it chewy.
Pete