Friday, May 6, 2011

Homemade Yogurt

I finally got around to making my own yogurt. success. used these instructions (Yogurt Making Illustrated) because  a professor wrote it. and it sounded scientific.

Here's my process:
1. Boil a large pot of water to sterilize the jars ( i use two mason jars and a smaller one)
2. While boiling, pour a quart of milk into a pot and use a candy thermometer to watch the temp rise to 85-90 degrees Celsius. Stir to avoid scalding.

3. Check on boiling water with jars. Once they've boiled for a bit take them out (i use tongs and try not to burn myself) and set them on the counter. Dont pour out the water yet. Just take it off the burner to cool. Use it to insulate yogurt when it cools to 50 degrees Celsius.

4. Check on milk. When it hits 85 (Celsius), put it in a sink filled with cold water to cool it down to 50-55.

5. Mix one cup starter yogurt (yogurt with active cultures) with some cooled milk and then pour into pot of milk (tempering the yogurt).

6. Pour milk/yogurt mixture into jars. place lidded jars into a thermos and pour the leftover warm water around it.
7. Store for 4-8 hours. I typically leave my wimpy soft sided cooler in an ever-so-slightly warmed oven for about 7 hours.

8. Enjoy. Jars store in fridge for up to a month! Use smaller, unopened jar as starter for the next batch. Although Ive found after 2-3 batches, a fresh starter from the store works better.

Here's what Acadia does while I make yogurt:




Eats plastic of course!!!!!

6 comments:

James said...

is this safe for small children?

Emy said...

wowee!!! i have thought of trying it but it seems like a lot of work! does it taste better than what you get at the store? have you ever thought of buying the machine?

way to go

MomCan said...

Wow, that is quite a process, I just stuck it in the oven. Loved this post. I wonder if I will ever make yogurt again? I will just come to your house. Cute baby!

Daddio said...

Well Wynn, I must say that Activia sounds easier. But I want to know one thing. Why is Acadia always smiling? I know it isn't the yogurt.

MomCan said...

MORE, MORE, how about some post from Germany, please, please and with live footage of our precious baby and her parents...would love to see the Stewarts as well. Come on Wynnnnnnnnn.

Unknown said...

I want to try the homemade yogurt recipe.
Pete